1029 West Pearl St, St Augustine, FL 32084
"Serving veterans, their familes and our community."
Post 194 History
The Post 194 Namesake
Alton Green Memorial Post 194 was originally known as the Lincolnville Post and was organized in 1938 by Post 137 of St Augustine, florida. It functioned under the charter “Colored Veterans of World War 1.” The Post was named “Lincolnville” because of the section of town where the meetings were held. Members met in the Benevolent Hall in Lincolnville until 1947. Later that year, the Post expanded, was chartered and welcomed the Auxiliaries.
On 23 September 1948, the Post became a member of the American Legion as was chartered “Lincolnville Post 194.” Meetings were held at the Lincolnville Links Recreation Center. Shortly thereafter, the National Committee sent an order that Veterans should operate as one unit, no segregation. Between the years of 1948 and 1955, Congressional debates and meetings were held to form a resolution to nationally integrate all American Legion Posts. Finally, in 1956, the resolution was passed and the Lincolnville Post 194 became a member of the 5th District.
As membership grew and the need for Post 194 to identify with the community became apparent – several veterans felt the need for a post home. On 10 November 1953, Post 194 purchased the property in which members went to work immediately to raise funds to build their new home which now still stands at the present location on Pearl Street. Various members and organizations donated materials and labor in support of this cause. Among the members who pledged countless hours of time and beads of sweat was Alton P. Green.
After his passing, in recognition of his many years of dedicated service and structure of Post 194, with approval of the membership, a supplemental charter was requested and granted to change the American Legion Lincolnville Post 194 to the American Legion Alton Green Memorial Post 194 on 30 August 1987.
Over the many years, Post 194, in support of the National American Legion Doctrine, continually and consistently promotes the welfare of veterans, their dependents and the community on the National, State and local levels.